Window Parts: Anatomy of a Window

Posted On: 08/01/2012

Information in this post was provided by Quality Window & Door, one of the largest window and door companies in Maryland. If you need a window and door company in Annapolis, contact their experts!

Do you need to replace your windows or have you been experiencing window problems and think you may need repair? Either way, being familiar with window parts and how your window operates can be extremely helpful.

Below is a window from a real home with the different parts labeled: apron, sill, sash, pane, stiles, rails and grilles/muntins.

Window Parts

Window Parts

Apron – the apron is a piece of decorative trim or casing right under the window sill, against the wall.

Grilles – also called muntins, these are the decorative dividers on the window pane and they can usually be easily removed for cleaning purposes.

Rails – rails are the horizontal parts of the window sash.

Sash – this is the part of the window that holds the pane and consists of rails and stiles.

Sill – the sill is the horizontal piece that forms the bottom of the window, and it is designed to support the frame.

Stiles – stiles are the vertical parts of the window sash.

Other Important Window Terms

In addition to the window parts, there are probably other window terms you’ve heard and may be curious about. Some common window terms include:

Argon – argon is a noble gas that is used in the space between the two panes in energy-efficient double-pane windows.

Cladding – you may have heard people say wood clad windows. Cladding is a material installed on the outside of a window that provides a durable, low-maintenance surface.

Flanker – a flanker is a window that is placed next to a main window. Bay windows, for instance, have two smaller flanker windows (usually casement or double-hung).

Glazing – glazing is fitting a window with glass.

Krypton – like argon, krypton is a gas that is used in between the two panes of glass in double-pane windows.

Mulling – this is the process of attaching two or more windows together to form a single unit (called a mulled window).

Weatherstripping – this is a material that is used to create an airtight seal between the window sash and frame to reduce air and water infiltration and make your home more energy-efficient.

Homeowners don’t typically know much about their windows, just the fact that they need new ones. However, having even a basic understanding of the main window parts can be beneficial, especially when talking to professional contractors about window replacement!